A Healthy Muffin Recipe

skneminnee
on 3/6/09 10:12 pm, edited 3/6/09 10:19 pm - Tecumseh, Canada
If you are wanting a muffin, I tweaked one of my recipes and came up with this...it is yummy and healthy....great with a cup of tea... mmmmm.mmmm!

Blueberry Orange Bran Muffins

3        large eggs
1c      milk
2 tsp  finely grated orange zest
½ c    orange juice
¼ c    butter, melted, or 1/3c vegetable oil
1tsp   vanilla extract
1c      all-purpose flour
2 ½ c pure wheat bran flakes
1 c     granulated Splenda
4 tsp  baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 ½ c fresh or frozen blueberries (do not thaw)                              
          vegetable oil spray

Place oven rack in middle position. Preheat oven to 375 F.  

Place eggs, milk, orange zest and juice, melted butter or oil, and vanilla in a bowl and whisk well to combine.  

Place flour, Splenda, baking powder and salt in another bowl and thoroughly combine.  

Place the blueberries in a third bowl and coat with 2 tbsp of the flour mixture.  

Add dry ingredients to the wet and mix until just combined. Gently fold the blueberries into the batter.      

Lightly coat a 12-cup muffing pan with vegetable spray. Spoon the batter into each cup, filling to the top. Bake 25 min.  

Cool on baking rack for 15min then remove the muffins from the pan.  

Nutritional Info per muffin: Calories 175; Fat 8g; Fibre 7.5g; Sugar**3.5g; Protein 6g
**all naturally occurring

http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wrUgH5a/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wrUgH5a/weight.png">>

wendy_fou
on 3/8/09 2:01 pm, edited 3/8/09 2:01 pm - AR
Here's another for those that like muffins.  It has no flour, less fat and less ingredients.  So it may be a better option for some.  They are TERRIFIC!

Blueberry Protein Muffins

4 egg whites
1 cup frozen blueberries
1 tsp vanilla
½ cup oats
1 tbsp cornstarch
½ cup Splenda
2 scoops vanilla protein powder (or flavor of your choice)  

Combine all ingredients until blended well.
Mix in frozen blueberries and drop by the spoonful into muffin holders.
Bake at 375 degrees for thirteen minutes.
Makes 12 cupcakes regular sized muffins, 24 1/2 sized muffins.

The nutrition information will vary depending on the protein powder you use.  When I made mine, I actually substituted blueberry protein powder in place of vanilla protein powder.  Depending on your taste, you could substitute different fruit (or nuts even) in place of blueberries and different flavors of protein powder instead of vanilla.  I've thought a lot about trying banana protein powder with some sort of nut in place of blueberries.  Or maybe even SF chocolate chips with chocolate protein powder, topped with some SF chocolate icing for a death by chocolate version?  The possibilitis are endless really.

For the tiny blueberry protein powder muffins I made (which were about 1/2 the size of the recipe ones - I think my mix made 24 instead of 12 because I wanted them to back to about 1/4 cup size instead of normal 1/2 cup size muffins), the nutrition facts follow:
59.36 calories
.23 g fat
10.59 g carbs (hey... it's got fruit in it, ok?)
5.28 g protein

Edited to correct my font which messed up when I posted this. 
Anita Jo
on 3/12/09 10:16 pm - Elmira, NY
wow this sounds good also.. darn i have only cho protein powder... grrrr....

Anita Jo
on 3/12/09 10:17 pm - Elmira, NY
thank you for the recipe. it sounds wonderful and i have all the items.. yummy... i cant wait to try it.. thanks so much.. how many carbs? Anita

Most Active